Dale Carnegie is quoted as saying that “most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all!”
There is a great deal of truth in that statement, and a long line of people in history to prove it. People who were told that they should give up; people who were told that they would or could never achieve a goal; people who experienced tremendous setbacks. What they all have in common is that they never gave in; they never gave up; and they remained motivated to pursue their goals despite the naysayers.
Two persons of different generations who displayed tremendous self-motivation and experienced both personal reward and recognition (more…)
A “block ” can be created in any type of business, even though we’re accustomed to only hearing about “writers’ block.” The “block” results in a state of semi-paralysis that can prevent you from moving forward in your business.
Jumpstart self-motivation? How can that be done when working on your online business projects?
1. Prepare Yourself Mentally:Rather than waiting until you’re ready to start working on your project, do a mental review, the day or night before, of what you plan to work on and what your goal is. It’s easy to get into the trap of focusing on the negative aspects involved. Instead, focus on the positive (more…)
Mental imagery or visualization is a simple yet valuable self-motivation technique. How can visualization contribute to maintaining motivation?
When you started your online business you made a plan and set realistic, strategic goals that you’d like to accomplish within stated time frames. Sometimes your time frame may have to change because your goals were not realized, but your goals remain unchanged. Rather than becoming a victim of discouragement and giving up, having a mental image of what you desire to accomplish will allow you to maintain your motivation.
Mental imagery or visualization in this context is simply using your mind’s eye to see your goal as if it has already been attained and being able to picture yourself mentally enjoying the results of your hard work. For example, your goal at a given time (more…)
Self-Motivation is a natural and required partner to success in building your online business.
Your goal in starting your own online business was, in most cases, to make money to either supplement your income or replace your income. To realize your goals a number of basic steps are required, and all of these will only be put into action by the quality of your motivation. To achieve success in building your online business you must be self-motivated.
Your Vision: Every business owner must develop a vision of what he or she wants to achieve. In so doing you may need to ask self-searching questions like, “What do I really want to achieve, and why? Will achieving success in this venture change my life? How and who can I help once I achieve my goals? What steps will I take to be sure that my goals are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and will be accomplished within a given time period?”
Have a Plan: It may not be a formal business plan, but there should be something in writing to use as a guide in achieving your (more…)
In business and in life, being motivated (and positively motivated) is the most important characteristic you can have. There are many ways you can build motivational habits on a daily basis. Habits can be hard in the beginning, but give it 30 days and see how naturally they come!
1. Have visual motivators. These are extremely important because your surroundings create the attitude you have every day. A few things that you can post on your wall or your computer include: positive quotes, a beach house you want to buy, a motivational calendar, etc. Anything that makes you feel good. I admit to all of the above!
2. Stay around positive people. Your friends should be people who build you up, make you feel good and support your endeavors. If you have a friend who always shoots you down, makes you feel bad about yourself……don’t hang out with them. Or, you could ask them why they are always so negative – maybe they don’t realize that they are. Just make sure you are around positive, supportive people.
3. Read or listen to motivational and inspirational things daily. These will help you strengthen your mind and build up your confidence.
4. Positive Self-Talk. Write down some positive affirmations and repeat them to yourself daily. It makes you feel good about yourself and gets your mind on the right track for success.
5. Keep Up a Positive Attitude. Always remain positive. As soon as you stop thinking that life is so difficult – you will find it becomes easier. Try to see the bright side of every situation. “Stuff” happens. Things you’re working on don’t always go as planned. It’s how you deal with it that determines your success.
6. Share Your Attitude. Once you become a positive, motivated person – share your attitude with others. Be contagious! You’ll find that when you share your positiveness and passions – you will be driven to accomplish more.
Welcome to my new “Monday Writer” segment where I will feature a different writer/blogger every Monday. A special ‘thank you’ to my first Featured “Monday Writer”, Sheila Atwood.
Featured “Monday Writer” – Sheila Atwood
Do you have times when you’re a little low on motivation? Do you need a jump-start to get yourself rolling again?
Join the club. We all have those times in life where we have lost interest. Or the task at hand seems a little too hard to confront.
“Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you chances are it will burn very briefly.” Steven R. Covey
5 Magic Motivation Action Steps
1. Recognize Success. Life is full of successes we fail to give ourselves credit for. Don’t be so hard on yourself. When you take on any task it can seem to take a long time to find success.
For example when you first start writing a blog, it can seem like new posts take forever. But each completion is success. When the blog is published that is success. Count each step as a success and it becomes easier and easier. Recognize those little successes.
Remember, as your sphere of influence gets bigger, new problems will arise. View resolving each new problem as a success and your sphere of influence will grow again.
2. Partner up! Find someone to share your successes with. Pick someone with like goals, who is supportive of your endeavors. Pick someone who understands. My partner is my sister. We can run ideas and problems by each other. We also share our successes.
3. Produce a product. Nike Shoes tag line is “Just Do It”. You will be amazed at how well this works for blogging, business or in personal matters.
When you feel unmotivated produce a product….write an article, do an interview or design a new label. Keep it simple. Choose something you can easily confront. Choose something you know and can produce quickly. Make a success!
“If opportunity doesn’t knock build a door.” Milton Berle
4. Do Unto Others. This action step is simply magic all on its own. Stop moping around and get in there doing for another person. This step is inclusive of the steps above; (a. Quick success, (b.sharing a success with another and (c.producing a product.
Keep this simple. Make twice as much dinner and share it with a neighbor. Call someone you have been meaning to call and share a happy story. Wash your sweetie-pies’ car. Show up unexpectedly at a friends’ event.
Soon you will be back on track in your own endeavors.
5. Revisit Your Vision. If you have not written your vision of what you want, do it. You can’t reach the top of the mountain if you do not know that the mountain even exists. When it is hard to push through use your vision as motivation to stay the course. Have courage.
“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
To your success!
Sheila Atwood, Newbie Lifeline
P.S. Do you have a magic way you use to get motivated? Please share it.
Sheila Atwood writes “Newbie Lifeline” , a beginner’s guide to making money online. Her current series is on marketing.