In a previous post published on January 28, 2010 my topic was, “Starting and Maintaining an Online Business Requires the Correct Mindset.” In that article I focused on the need to treat your online business as a business and the need to develop a mindset as a business owner. The focus of this post is that how you perceive yourself affects your success in your online business.
There is a cliche that says: Your attitude determines your altitude. This is true in all aspects of life including starting a successful online business. Unfortunately it has been acknowledged by those who study behavior patterns that children who did not experience positive reinforcement and were surrounded by a “You will not succeed” rather than a “You can do anything you set your mind to do” attitude are more likely to suffer from low self-esteem. These children grow into adulthood and without a second thought fall into a pattern of thinking that other people will succeed, but if they attempt to do the same thing they will fail. This type of thinking is self-destructive because it prevents growth – personal or business. How was your thinking shaped or molded?
I am not a psychologist; however, for several years I worked in Human Resources for a large organization and I would see the pattern demonstrated over and over in people who came to my office. Adults who could not see anything positive in their lives and acted as if they were trapped in a tiny box from which there was no escape. Also one of my businesses is in Direct Sales and over the years I’ve had the privilege of building teams and have seen the difference in those who have success in their business as opposed to those who give up, sometimes even before challenges arise, because they do not believe they could succeed, and at times did not even think they have the ability or right to improve their circumstances.
If you can relate to any of the foregoing, I would encourage you to really look inside yourself and work at eliminating all the negative, distorted things that were said to you that cause you to have a low self-esteem or feel inadequate. Then be open to recognize the valuable person that you truly are. Following are some positive actions you can take:
1) Many of us are our worse critics and there is some good to that, but if we constantly judge ourselves and feed our minds on negative self-talk, that will undermine the benefits we may gain from self-examination. Learn to treat yourself as you treat others – with respect and compassion.
2) Acknowledge your feelings and needs and attend to them. There is no honor in punishing yourself needlessly.
3) Give attention to your body: eat well, get enough sleep, get enough exercise, invest in something that makes you feel good and look good.
4) Learn to create balance in your life. Acknowledge the need for work, recreation, creative and spiritual time and balance the time you spend on each activity.
5) This may be a good time to learn to use the word ‘cancel.’ Every time a negative thought comes into your mind, say ‘cancel’ and endeavor to replace it with a positive thought.
To cultivate is defined as – to foster the growth of; to bestow attention, care, and labor upon, with a view to valuable returns. All of these indicate that time is needed. It may take time and patience to cultivate the right mindset for starting a business online. But…it can be done; you can do it.