I’ve been an avid country music fan since my early teens and alternatively annoyed many of my peers or converted others to appreciate country music. I’m now a huge fan of Classic Country although I still enjoy some of the modern country songs. This morning I heard a song by Toby Keith, Country Music Superstar, that inspired my post. It’s entitled, “Somewhere Else.” The line in the song that struck me was: If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up somewhere else.
I couldn’t help thinking how true that could be about our online businesses. Most offline business owners are very clear about what type of business they’ll engage in. The lines are not always as clear for online businesses.
Many of us start our online businesses without a Business Plan; therefore, we have no clear path to follow. We also do not have a Marketing Plan so we don’t know who our target market is, we’ve done no type of analyses to determine what is required to obtain customers and get our message out to attract customers. We may have no experience in customer care so we don’t build a relationship with our customers when we get them. The ‘build it and they’ll come’ theory is alive and well with many persons who start an online business. It’s no wonder that the statistics regarding the rate of failure is so high.
The positive note to all of this is that even if you did not know where you were going when you started your online business; as you grow in knowledge and experience you can take corrective measures so you don’t end up ‘somewhere else’. There are many steps you can take, and I’m only naming a few of the ones that have worked for me, as well as other marketers.
- Continue to learn. Educate yourself.
- Learn from a good Mentor who has proven that he or she has been successful in the strategies that he or she is teaching.
- Find your ‘sweet spot.’ Find what you’re passionate about, that solves a problem, and something that you can create a business around.
- Identify your target audience so your message will fit your audience
- Develop a one-page Business Plan that includes a Marketing Plan
- In conjunction with #6, create realistic goals that align with your Business Plan.
- There will be many shiny objects on the Internet. Put on blinders so you focus only on the ones that will help you reach your goal.
- Write it, type it, have this question on your computer, “Is What I’m Doing Bringing Me Closer To My Goals?”
- Let your offline acquaintances know what you do online and get them involved in spreading your message.
- Keep your level of spirituality high. It’s what will give you the motivation to keep going so that when, not if, you fall you can pick yourself up and move on.
What are your thoughts on this post? Is Toby Keith right? Are you on the same path in your online business as when you first started? Please share your thoughts in the Comments section.